Volume I - Chapter 30
Fire Protection Services
Effective 1 January 2006 the official version of the QR&O is that published in PDF format on defence websites. The QR&O are provided electronically on defence websites in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and Portable Document Format (PDF) versions. HTML is provided solely for the convenience of readers. The only official version of the QR&O made under the authority of the National Defence Act is in electronic PDF format found on this web site. A printed copy of the official PDF is only accurate as of the time it was printed. Any discrepancies between the HTML and the official PDF versions should be reported to the DSCS, ADM(Fin CS).
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
For more information on accessing this file, please visit our help page.
30.01 - FIRE PREVENTION COMMITTEE
(1) The commanding officer of a base, unit, other than a ship or element shall appoint a fire prevention committee consisting of at least three members, one of whom should, when practical, be a construction engineering officer.
(2) The function of the fire prevention committee is as prescribed in orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff.
(30.02: NOT ALLOCATED)
30.03 - RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIRE FIGHTING
(1) Where the establishment of a base, unit, other than a ship, or element provides for a fire department, the senior fire officer or fire fighter tradesman is the fire chief and where there is no fire department, the commanding officer shall appoint an officer or non-commissioned member above the rank of private to act as fire chief.
(2) The duties of the fire chief are as prescribed by the Chief of the Defence Staff.
(3) In a ship, the commanding officer is responsible for the fighting of a fire.
30.04 - PRACTICE FIRE DRILLS
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the commanding officer of a base, unit or element shall hold practice fire drills in accordance with orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff.
(2) In ships, practice fire drills shall be held at intervals not exceeding one month and at such other times as prescribed in ship's orders.
30.05 - REPORTING A FIRE
The commanding officer of a base, unit or element shall ensure that all fires are reported in accordance with orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff.
30.06 - FIRE PRECAUTIONS IN MILITARY BUILDINGS
An officer commanding a command shall ensure that the officer in whose charge he places any building which is under military control:
- takes fire prevention precautions as prescribed in orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff; and
- promulgates orders covering reporting and action to be taken when fire occurs.
30.07 - FIRE ORDERS
The commanding officer of a base, unit or element shall ensure that orders relating to reporting, control and prevention of fires at the base, unit or element are incorporated in Standing Orders. (See article 4.21 - Standing Orders.)