DAOD 8010-0, Lessons Learned
Date of Issue: 2004-04-30
Application: This is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence ("DND employees") and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces ("CF members").
Approval Authority: This DAOD is issued under the authority of the Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (DCDS).
Enquiries: Director Plans, Doctrines and Training (DPDT) J7 Lessons Learned
- Lessons Learned (leçons retenues)
- Lessons learned means the adding of value to an existing body of knowledge, or seeking to correct deficiencies in areas of concepts, policy, doctrine, training, equipment or organizations, by providing feedback and follow-on action.
All major staff activities can benefit from, and contribute to, a lessons learned (LL) process. The implementation of a vigorous LL process ensures accountability through the use of a feedback loop, thereby minimizing the repetition of errors. The LL process results in a tangible change in attitude, capability and behaviour.
The DND and the CF are committed to providing active LL, with continuing support. A specific LL process shall be followed when LL is conducted.
The DND and the CF require that:
- the command element support the LL process;
- commanders and other authorities determine where LL fits in their staff organizations;
- proper LL process be followed;
- all major staff activities contribute to the LL process; and
- LL cells visit operational and tactical formations to collect or validate material.
The steps in the operational LL process are set out in DAOD 8010-1, Operational Lessons Learned Process.
The following table identifies the authorities responsible for implementing this policy:
|The …||has/have the authority to …|
approve LL policy.
environmental chiefs of staff and other Level 1 Advisors as set out in the Defence Plan On-Line
oversee LL policy and the implementation of a LL process for their organizations.
- B-GJ-005-500/FP-000, Canadian Forces Operational Planning Process
- DAOD 8010-1, Operational Lessons Learned Process
- Defence Plan On-Line