DAOD 6002-0, Information Technology
Table of Contents
Date of Issue: 2012-04-18
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces (CF members).
Approval Authority: Assistant Deputy Minister (Information Management) (ADM(IM))
Enquiries: Director Information Management Policy and Standards (DIMPS)
- communication and information system (système de communication et d’information)
- An assembly of equipment, methods and procedures and, if necessary, personnel, organized to accomplish specific information conveyance and processing functions.
- information management (gestion de l’information)
- Has the same meaning as in the Treasury Board Policy on Information Management
- information technology (technologies de l’information)
- Has the same meaning as in the Treasury Board Directive on Management of Information Technology.
- operational authority (autorité opérationnel)
- The individual who has the authority and responsibility to define requirements, operating principles and concepts of operations, to set the operational standards and to accept risk within his or her area of responsibility
- security authority (autorité de sécurité)
- The individual responsible for identifying risk, providing advice and standards on the security aspects of a system or capability for endorsement by the operational authority and technical authority, and for monitoring compliance to those standards in his or her area of responsibility.
- technical authority (autorité technique)
- The individual responsible for providing technical advice, setting specifications and standards, managing configurations and ensuring compliance within his or her area of responsibility.
3. Policy Direction
3.1 The ADM(IM) is the functional authority for information technology (IT) and the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for the DND and the CF.
3.2 IT is a strategic asset that must be managed in accordance with the mandate of the DND and the CF.
3.3 Effective management of IT requires that the operational, technical and security authorities clearly understand their roles and scope of authority when participating in the decision-making process. This DAOD establishes the authority of the operational, technical and security authorities within the context of a communication and information system (CIS).
3.4 The DAOD 6002 series, along with the DND and CF IM and IT Policy Framework, should be read in conjunction with other relevant ADM(IM) policies, instructions, directives, standards and guidance.
3.5 The DND and the CF are committed to establishing clear authorities for the management, delivery and support of IT.
3.6 The DND and the CF must:
- employ a consistent definition of IT roles, functions and services;
- exercise authority by issuing direction and communicating expectations for IT;
- establish direction that builds on and is in alignment with Government of Canada policy; and
- ensure the provision of clear, concise and timely direction for the management, delivery and support of IT.
4.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The …||has the authority to …|
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Policy on Management of Information Technology, Treasury Board
- Directive on Management of Information Technology, Treasury Board
- DAOD 6000-0, Information Management and Information Technology