DAOD 2015-0, Airworthiness
Date of Issue: 2007-06-29
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence ("DND employees") and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces ("CF members").
Approval Authority: Chief of the Air Staff (CAS)
Enquiries: Director of Air Force Readiness (D Air FR)
- Aeronautical Product (produit aéronautique)
- Aeronautical product has the same meaning as in subsection 3(1) of the Aeronautics Act.
- Aircraft (aéronef)
- Aircraft has the same meaning as in subsection 3(1) of the Aeronautics Act.
- Airworthiness Instruments (documents de navigabilité)
- Airworthiness instruments mean all regulations, orders, standards, guidelines, codes, and education and information campaigns in respect of military aviation and airworthiness.
- Military Aviation (aviation militaire)
- Military aviation means:
- activities, services and facilities associated with the design, manufacture, materiel support, maintenance and operation of military aeronautical products;
- the operation and maintenance of aircraft operated by or on behalf of the DND or the CF; and
- the operation and maintenance of aircraft operated by or on behalf of a visiting force as defined in section 2 of the Visiting Forces Act while in Canadian airspace.
The Aeronautics Act is the legal foundation for military aviation safety. Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of National Defence (MND) is the responsible minister for any matter relating to defence, including any matter relating to military personnel or military aircraft. The MND has directed that the DND and the CF develop and implement an Airworthiness Program to fulfil this obligation. The Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) acts under the direction of the MND in respect of matters under the Aeronautics Act.
In accordance with subsection 4.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act, and on the direction of the MND, the CDS has designated the officer holding the position of CAS as the Airworthiness Authority (AA) for the DND and the CF. The AA exercises overall supervision and management of the DND/CF Airworthiness Program.
The DND and the CF are committed to achieving and maintaining an acceptable level of safety for military aviation.
The DND and the CF shall:
implement the DND/CF Airworthiness Program; and
ensure that DND employees and CF members perform all airworthiness-related activities in accordance with the Aeronautics Act and applicable airworthiness instruments.
For more information, see DAOD 2015-1, DND/CF Airworthiness Program.
The AA has the authority to approve airworthiness policies and oversee the implementation of the DND/CF Airworthiness Program.
- Aeronautics Act
- Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act
- Visiting Forces Act
- Ministerial Direction Regarding DND/CF Airworthiness Program, 16 September 1998
- Ministerial Airworthiness Direction, 18 July 2005
- CDS Orders of Delegation to the AA, 28 Jul 08